Saturday 21 May 2016

Update VII: Gorkanaut Finished!

Hi friends,

Apologies for the absence from the blog. I'm currently heading into the last few months before I aim to submit my doctoral thesis and life is busy. I'm planning to be a lot more active on here from early June onwards, although there will be a very large and detailed article i've been working on for a long time going up in the next few days.

However I I have managed to finished painting the Gorkanaut to bring my ork 40k forces up to 1000pts! Here's some pictures for yah!
A Clock-Gork Orange
Da Gork Booty

As per the other units, this guy was painted with speed in mind. While there is a lot I could do to make it better, this still represents about 35 hours of labor on my end if you include assembly.
This is also my first time using chipping medium, which I had a lot of fun with. It was very time consuming to do on a model of this size and with this many angles but its a great effect. In retrospect though I should have accompanied it with some sponging, as I don't think that the chips show enough wear and tear in-and-of themselves.
The "dripping" rust/oil effect was achieved with AK interactive "Rust Streaks" effect. It's a great product, but note that you do need to varnish the model before using it as it behaves just like an oil wash.
Freehand handprints along the front plate.

The handprints were done via freehand on a whim. I was looking for a way to tie in the unique skin-color of my forces (and an important visual counterpoint to the blue) on a model with no skin. The handprints were my solution, although in retrospect I definitely should have made a stamp. It ties in nicely with my army fluff though, as my boyz are hyper concious of their strange skin colour and are out to prove that ORANGE IS BEST.
Here is a side-by-side comparison between a boy, my converted big mek, and the Gork!
This represents my 1000 point army that I have painted since January. Pretty great to see it all together like this!
A final shot under some different light.

The Gork has already received a warm welcome on a reddit thread I started about him. Sorry for the delay getting him up on here! I have an itch to paint something that isn't 40k and might come back to some Infinity figures i've been eyeballing so expect some more of that.

As ever, thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment