Friday 16 April 2021

Kharadron Overlords Update - February 2021

Hello Friends,

My hobby has continued to thrive during the COVID-19 pandemic as I’ve had lots of extra time to work on various projects. The most prominent of these since my last update has been the completion of a solid Vanguard-sized force of Kharadron Overlords.

I continued the approach that I took with the test models, and all of the infantry models were done with an old-school handpainting and layering approach. No contrast paints or airbrushing to be found! I also really enjoyed the cohesiveness of the neutral palette I’d selected.

However, when it came time to do the boats I decided to make use of the airbrush because I’m not a total masochist, and I also found the need to add one more colour to the palette to employ on the huge swathes of their hulls. I went with a dark turquoise based on Citadel’s ‘Incubi Darkness’ that I think works really well and ties into the sea-theme of the bases.

The beach bases were a lot of fun to do and help to make the army quite distinct. I used Vallejo water textures and exactly followed the excellent guide on water bases by Tsukuru_Paints that can be found on their Instagram here.

My personal favourite of the water bases.

I continue to really enjoy cracking out these small 1000 armies. It is particularly satisfying with the Age of Sigmar range, as something about the brilliant level of variety between the AoS sculpts and the flexibility of their potential color/basing schemes is super satisfying to me. A Vanguard force is also a manageable number of models that seems to be around the perfect amount for me to paint before I’m ready to move on to something else. I get to focus new techniques, styles, or material, and after a few test models get to see how they play out on an army-level scale across a variety of models.

A frothy boy!

There’s been lots more going on with my hobby lately, with many more exciting posts to come! Thanks for looking!

-Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment