Sunday 25 October 2015

Big Update I: Empire Army - Spring 2015

So after a fourteen month hiatus I am making a triumphant return to the blogosphere. A lot has happened with my hobby since August 2014 and I will aim to update you as I showcase some of the painting I’ve done since then.

I have sold off both the Orcs and Tau figures I discussed in my previous post in order to cut back on the amount of stuff to paint and make things more manageable in my head. Instead I focused on painting an empire army over the fall of 2014 and spring of 2015. This was helped significantly by me moving in with a gentleman named Byron, a good friend, an exceptional painter, and the co-owner of Element Games.

Byron on the left in front of his store.
We are living in central Manchester and its been a real pleasure so far. Byron is an endless font of brilliant painting tips and has helped me constantly improve and challenge myself when it comes to my technique. This empire force represents the initial months of me berating him with endless questions. I encourage everyone to check out his excellent blog in the sidebar or by clicking here.


My initial job was this unit of mounted knights. It was my first time painting cavalry and was a rather tedious process, one I wouldn’t care to repeat again. However Byron was kind enough to give me access to his airbrush which helped me put down the basecoats and washes for the metal/horseflesh extremely effectively. 



I then treated myself to a Warpriest model produced by Avatars of War. It was a great figure and I’m really pleased with how it turned out. Up until this point this was by far my best highlighting yet, although it was only the result of me layering a lot with no proper blending anywhere.


A cannon came next, I love these little leaves produced by Secret Weapon found here. A superb way to add some real character to a base!



At this point I started working through twenty state troopers in batches of five. Midway through I took a break to paint this wizard. He’s a little sloppily done as I was still not doing proper blends at this point, but he’s sufficient for the tabletop and I was pleased with the illuminated manuscript on his spellbook!


And here is the finished unit of state troopers with the two heroes in there as well. Apologies I don’t have individual pictures but I’ll put some up soon. Suffice to say these guys are much better painted than the initial tester models I showed over a year ago.


Finally here is the army as a whole! Unfortunately I reached this stage at the end of June 2015, just as Age of Sigmar came into existence and rendered 8th edition kaput. I’m hardly bitter about it, as the fantasy system was showing its age, but I was disappointed that the Old World fluff disappeared and since I’m not currently interested in Age of Sigmar this will remain a display army for now. Aside from the cannon crew I have lots of great little painting projects to add to it when I feel like it:
  • Carriage with a nobleman (unit filler for the state troops)
  • Luminark of Hysh
  • Plastic Empire Captain
But for now I was sick of purple and yellow and wanted to move on. Part two to follow!
-Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment