Tuesday 27 October 2015

Big Update III: Bane Crew from Batman Miniatures Game - Summer 2015

Perhaps my biggest miniatures-based endeavor this past year was getting into the Batman Miniatures game produced by Knight Models. A close friend of mine who runs the excellent Painter’s Surgery Blog proposed a deal wherein we would both assemble, paint, and learn to play a BMG crew in time for the first world tournament taking place in Nottingham. To that end from June until the tournament in September I was perhaps more focused than I’ve ever been on both the hobby and tabletop aspect of miniature wargaming in tandem, as I gradually assembled and painted a small crew while playing games frequently to get a grip on the system.



Arkham City Bane was the first miniature I built and painted, and it was a somewhat herculean task but I’m extremely pleased with the end result.


I wanted to get a unique look with his skin, going from purple to a pallid fleshtone. Byron gave me a crash course on a very simple way to do wet blending with lots of heavily thinned layers of paint. Consequently Bane’s skin is my first proper attempt at a blend effect and I’m very pleased with the results. I’m looking forward to getting more comfortable with the technique and reproducing it on a larger scale!



Given a busy non-hobby schedule during the summer, the remainder of the crew had to be painted fairly quickly and with a little less tender loving care. This is the venom soldier and TnT from the crew. TnT (bloke with the gun) was my first attempt at speed-painting and ended up only taking me three hours, which was a lot of fun. Although he’s also unquestionably the most poorly painted member of the crew I’m glad I gave it a shot. It was a lot of fun to have a firm deadline to work towards with my painting, very incentivizing!


Deadshot was an exception to the more hurried painting of the other henchmen. I quite liked his model and his behavior ingame, and he’s a named character as well, so I thought it would be fitting to spend a bit more time on him. I’m quite pleased with how he turned out and while the blends are quite as good as what’s on Bane I think he’s a nice looking piece.



Henchman Mezz was the last model in the crew. Again a rather rushed paintjob. I messed up the blending on him due to my impatience, as I failed to build up the layers properly. Still, he will do for tabletop.



Here is the whole crew together! Considering how busy I was this summer I don’t think they’re a bad result for a few months work.

Thanks for looking!
-Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment